Really? Yep it sure is!
While I do believe that 99% of the time it’s healthier to eat in, sometimes it’s absolutely essential to leave the house and eat out – For your mental health. Eating in every night (even if you do have awesome appliances to help you make yummy, healthy dishes) becomes trying. You start eating the same recipes on repeat and you grow to resent the thought of making dinner…then one night out of the blue you end up calling in at Pizza Hut because you know you’ll end up chopping off your hand rather than a carrot if you get hold of a knife!
Hunny I hear you!
Take this post as permission to grab a friend, or your significant other and go out to dinner! Enjoy being able to talk to them without being distracted by pots and pans or your to do list. The break we energise you and give you some new ideas in the kitchen and prevent you from catching cabin fever. Just make sure you choose a restaurant that caters to any specific requirements and uses fresh (and if possible) organic ingredients.
You live in Sydney? Me too! Why not try one of these spots next time you need a kitchen vacation.
- Yulli’s – 417 Crown St, Surry Hills. Yulli’s is a vegetarian restaurant that even a meat lover will love! They have a fantastic range of vegan dishes and vegan wines as well as an impressive boutique beer collection. What’s my favourite? The Vietnamese Crepe is AMAZING but you won’t be disappointed with anything you order.
- Iku –CBD, Lower North shore, Inner West and Eastern Suburbs. Iku is a chain of 13 vegan cafes spread throughout Sydney. Where possible they use organic ingredients and many items are gluten free. Run don’t walk.
- Grill’d – Chatswood, Crows Nest, Darlinghurst Crown St, Darlinghurst Victoria St, Harbourside and Parramatta.The place to go to for healthy burgers! There are three vegetarian burgers on the menu and all can be made vegan & gluten free.
- The Bentley – 320 Crown Street Surry Hills. A modern Australian 2 hatted restaurant with a fantastic vegetarian tasting menu. Perfect for a special occasion.
- Peasants Feast – 121A King St. Newtown. The Peasants Feast is an organic restaurant, which boosts a menu that is vegan and vegetarian friendly, as well as wheat, gluten, dairy, egg, nut, soy, salicylates, amines and monosodium free when necessary.
- Longrain – 85 Commonwealth Street Surry Hills. Longrain is a blend of Thai and southern Chinese cuisine. The bar in the basement is camouflage themed, perfect for drinks or if you just want something light.
- Sababa – Bondi Beach, Newtown and Westfield CBD food court. For the BEST falafels and Middle Eastern food in Sydney you must go to Sababa. It’s really affordable and quick to.
- Harvest Vegetarian Restaurant -71 Evans Street Rozelle. If you are after a more formal evening try Harvest Vegetarian Restaurant. About half their dishes are vegan or can be made vegan.
- Vegan’s Choice Grocery – Provides fresh and frozen vegan food, including an amazing range of cakes (some which are sugar free too!) and to die for soya ice cream! 113 King St, Newtown.
Photo credits: Megan Young from Veggies & Me. Megan took these photos of me when we caught up to have lunch at Yulli’s.
Please comment and tell me how often you eat out? Do you think you have a good eating in/eating out balance? Does eating out once in a while reinvigorate your love for cooking?