I must admit, I’ve been a very slack on the juicing front of late.
I fell out of the routine when we went overseas for our wedding and I haven’t got back into the swing of things ever since. I’ll juice once a week or buy a juice out (to avoid making a mess at home :S) but my daily juicing practice has well and truly gone out the window!
I’m determined to get back in the habit of juicing daily – It’s really not that hard when it’s part of your routine. It’s just another thing you do and you don’t think twice – it just becomes second nature.
What prompted my return to juicing was an email from my lovely friend Meredith asking for a “Beginner’s Guide to Juicing”. I almost wrote back and said, “I feel like a beginner, the juicer is at the back of the cupboard probably covered in moths!”
But instead, I thought no, I’ll share some useful tips with the hope I might inspire you (and me!) to get juicing.
Jess’ Juicing Tips
- Drink the juice straight away if possible. Freshly squeezed juice is best drank once juiced as the nutrients start to diminish as time passes
- If you can’t drink it right away, you can keep your juice in a dark, airtight container, in the fridge for 24 hours
- What’s the best brand of juicer? I have a Philips QuickClean Juicer, I really like it but in saying that I’ve never used another brand or model
- My advice when juicer shopping. Choose a relatively affordable juicer, to begin with, you can always upgrade later when you know juicing is for you
- Juice every day. What every day?! I can practically hear you yelling at me through the screen! Hear me out though… Juice every day for a week and see how it goes for you
- As Gretchen from The Happiness Project says it’s much easier to do something every day then every second day because it becomes part of your routine. If after a week you want to juice less often, at least you had a good starting point to come back to and you’ll be less likely to give it up completely
- Juice high sugar fruits in the morning. That way you have the whole day to burn off the sugar
- Limit fruit juices to 1 a day. This is due to the high sugar content
- Green juices or vegetable juices are perfect for any time of day
Juicing Combinations for beginners (or anyone not wanting their juice to taste too healthy:)
- Carrot and cucumber
- Beetroot, lemon, and carrot
- Celery, green apple, and cucumber
- Orange and carrot
- Lemon, orange, and lime
- Watermelon & mint
Are you a juicer? What tips do you have for converting someone to juicing?
Love + health,